1. The Renter agrees to the provisions of this Rental Agreement and has received a copy hereof.
2. The Renter shall return the vehicle:
a. together with all parts and accessories (including tyres, tools and GPS) in the same condition as they were received by the Lessor, except for standard wear and tear owing to use; the Renter is liable for the cost of replacing any missing parts or accessories according to the Lessor‘s price list.
b. on the date specified under the terms of this Agreement, unless otherwise agreed at a later time;
c. to the premises of the Lessor, unless otherwise agreed;
d. with a full tank of fuel. If the vehicle is not returned with a full tank of fuel, the Lessor may charge the Renter for the amount of fuel needed to fill the fuel tank as well as a service fee under the terms of the tariff of the Lessor.
3. The Renter shall pay for fuel and other costs needed to operate the vehicle during the period that the Renter is responsible for the vehicle, including any new damage found. Within the meaning of this Agreement, this period does not expire until the Lessor has registered the vehicle as received in his system, which registration can only be performed during the office hours of the Lessor.
4. If the Renter fails to return the vehicle at the time agreed in this Agreement, or fails to declare his intention to extend the rental period, the Lessor or the police may repossess the vehicle without further notice and at the cost of the Renter. Extended rental is subject to the approval of the Lessor. If the Renter returns the vehicle 29 min or more after expiry of the Agreement, the Lessor may demand up to a full day‘s rental charge under the terms hereof. For each day begun thereafter, the Lessor may levy charges pursuant to his tariff.
5. The vehicle shall be handled and driven carefully. Only those registered as authorised drivers on the front page of this Agreement are permitted to drive the vehicle. The Renter is liable for all damages to a third party or their property that will not be compensated for by the Lessor`s insurance company
6. The Renter may not engage in the following activities:
a. Driving on roads marked F on official maps as well as Kjalvegur road and through Kaldidalur valley, except for 4WD (four-wheel drive) vehicles which the Lessor agrees are suitable for driving on such roads. In the event of violation of the provisions of this sub-paragraph, the Lessor may impose a fine to the amount of 100.000 ISK. The above provision on fines does not affect the liability of the Renter to pay for damages.
b. Driving in or across rivers or any kind of water course. This prohibition does not apply to vehicles which the Lessor agrees are suitable for such driving, but such driving is always the responsibility of the Renter, cf. insurance terms and conditions.
c. Use of the vehicle that contravenes Icelandic law and/or the provisions hereof.
7. In the event of a collision or accident, the Renter shall immediately notify the appropriate police authorities as well as the Lessor of the incident, and the Renter shall not leave the scene before the police have arrived. The Renter shall immediately fill out a damage report if damage occurs. If the Renter fails to report damage, he shall be fully liable for it. A replacement vehicle is at the discretion of the Lessor and cannot be guaranteed.
8. If the Lessor needs to collect the vehicle, or have it collected, owing to a collision or an accident, the Renter shall bear all costs thereof pursuant to the tariff of the Lessor at each time.
9. The number of kilometres (km) that the vehicle is driven during the term hereof is determined by reading a normal odometer supplied with this vehicle by the manufacturer. The Renter shall notify the Lessor as soon as possible if the odometer is out of order or stops functioning during the rental period.
10. The Renter agrees to pay the Lessor upon request:
a. a deposit amounting to the estimated cost of renting the vehicle plus a moderate amount towards possible costs related to refuelling and fines for traffic rule violations.
b. all costs sustained by the Lessor from having to bring the vehicle back to his premises owing to it being left unattended without regard to the condition of the vehicle, roads or weather.
11. The Renter may not have repairs performed or modify the vehicle or its accessories, or permit any pledge of the vehicle as security.
12. The Renter is liable for all parking meter fines. An administration fee according to the Lessor’s pricelist will be charged for processing traffic fines and providing information as a result of violations of traffic law.
13. The Renter may not use the vehicle to transport passengers against payment, lend it or sublease it.
Obligations of the Lessor:
14. The Lessor will make every effort to deliver the vehicle at the agreed time and to ensure that it meets the requirements made upon it.
15. In the event that the vehicle malfunctions owing to wear or other reasons for which the Renter is not responsible, the Lessor shall supply the Renter with another vehicle as soon as possible or ensure that a repair is completed as soon as possible, at the location specified by the Renter. The above does not affect the payment of the rent or any other charges payable by the Renter hereunder. The Lessor pays no damages in cases such as provided here above, neither for accommodation nor other reasons.
16. The Lessor shall acquaint the Renter with the subject matter of this Agreement, in particular the obligations undertaken by the Renter upon signature hereof.
17. The Lessor shall make every effort to inform foreign Renters about Icelandic traffic rules, traffic signs and rules regarding the prohibition of off-road driving. In addition, the Lessor shall draw particular attention to the dangers posed by animals on roads.
18. If the Lessor wishes to limit the use of the vehicle with regard to its equipment and/or condition, such limits shall be established in writing upon signature hereof.
19. The Lessor undertakes to hold professional indemnity insurance at all times.
20. The Lessor shall not be responsible for the disappearance of or damage to items that the Renter or any other party stores or transports in the vehicle.
21. This Rental Agreement shall be kept in the vehicle at all times during the rental period.
22. Annexes and amendments to the terms and conditions thereof shall be made in writing.
23. Smoking is forbidden and a fine may be imposed if there are smoke fumes in the rental car. The lessor may impose an additional cleaning charge due to excessive dirt or fumes inside the rental car.
24. The Lessor may debit the bank card or credit card of the Renter for the rental charge and other costs payable by the Renter hereunder, such as payments in respect of damage to the vehicle while in the possession of the Renter. The time of payment and whether it is to be made in lump sum shall be the sole discretion of the Lessor. This right shall remain unaffected for 6 months following the return of the vehicle to the Lessor.
25. The Renter acknowledges by their signature on this agreement and on Rental Vehicle Condition report that they have received the vehicle and accessories in good condition.
26. Agreements concluded on the basis of the above terms and conditions, including possible claims for compensation that may be made, as applicable, shall be governed by Icelandic law. This applies both to the basis and calculation of compensation. The same applies to claims for compensation based on non-contractual liability. In the event of a dispute arising out of or in connection with this Agreement, the case shall be brought in the venue of the Lessor.
27. Disputes between the parties to this Rental Agreement may be submitted to the Appellate Committee of the Consumers, Association of Iceland and the Icelandic Travel Industry Association.